In 2009, the National Eagle Scout Association established the Glenn A. and Melinda W. Adams National Eagle Scout Service Project of the Year Award to recognize valuable service of an exceptional nature by a Scout to a religious institution, a school, community, or other entity. The award recognizes the Scout for his Eagle Scout leadership service project, which is part of the requirements for earning the Eagle Scout Award. Each year, local councils select a council-level winner, and from that pool, each region selects a region-level winner. A national winner is then selected from the four regional finalists. The Dan Beard Council Eagle Scout Association is responsible for selecting the council award winner each year.
We need assistance each year in reviewing submissions and assessing the impact the project had on the community. Please join us!
Each local council NESA committee shall select one service project of the year from among those meeting the submission guidelines. The included criteria and other factors are all appropriate for consideration by the committee in selecting the winners. Evaluation criteria for this award should include consideration of at least the following:
- Project planning required
- Effort to develop the project
- Extent and character of the leadership provided by the Scout
- Extent of achievement of the planned result, including changes or modifications required to complete the project
- Project’s impact on the beneficiary and/or on the community at large
- Originality of the project
- Scope of the work
- Time and materials contributed
- Level of skill employed to complete the project
The nomination shall be submitted to the NESA committee of the council in which the service project was completed on or before January 21 of each year. The submission must include the application (found on www.nesa.org), a name and summary of the project, and the Eagle Scout’s contact information. A complete duplicate copy of his Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project Workbook (previously submitted by the Scout to his Eagle board of review committee) must be attached to the application.
How to Submit
- Print and complete the official form from www.nesa.org
- Mail or turn in the completed application along with a copy of your Eagle Service Project Workbook at the Dan Beard Council Scout Achievement Center (Attn: Jason Pigg, 10078 Reading Road Cincinnati, Ohio 45241)
- Applications must be received by close of business, 1/21/2018.
Please Note: The official application form is a little confusing. Despite the fact that an address for NESA National is listed at the bottom of the instructions page, all submissions should be sent to Dan Beard Council using the procedure described above.